Industry Based Learning (IBL)
In Part 3 of our training program, you’ll be immersed in an intensive Industry-Based Learning (IBL) phase that lasts for 72 weeks. During this period, you must be enrolled in an official cardiac sonography program at an Australian institution, while Heartscope takes on the role of your designated supervisor for the entirety of your course duration. You will also have the opportunity to receive a salary while gaining invaluable experience. Please note that, at present, we are only able to offer two IBL placement spots each semester. These placements are at clinics operated by Heartscope, located in Victoria and potentially throughout Australia.
During this final phase, you will engage in more advanced stress testing, strain imaging, and bubble study techniques, which are essential components of modern cardiac sonography. This specialised training aims to enhance your skills, enabling you to perform these advanced procedures with confidence and proficiency. By mastering these techniques, you will be well-equipped to handle the intricacies and challenges of advanced stress testing and related diagnostic assessments.
Please note, the IBL placement has limited slots and is subject to a successful formal interview process. This part of the program is designed to take your theoretical knowledge and practical skills to the next level, preparing you for a career in this challenging and rewarding field.
- Course Completion: You must have successfully completed both the ‘Part 1 – Introduction to Adult Echocardiography’ and ‘Part 2 – Clinical Placements/Rotations’ courses at Heartscope Training Institute.
- ASAR Registration: You must be enrolled in a course that’s accredited by ASAR, the Australian Sonographer Accreditation Registry. This will validate your academic and clinical skills in sonography. You will also need to register with ASAR as a student sonographer (Your course should make you do this).
- University Enrolment: You must be enrolled in an official cardiac sonography course at an Australian institution.
- Physical Attendance: You must be able to attend practical training sessions at our sites around Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.
- Computer Literacy: As some of our materials and learning platform are digital, basic computer skills and internet access are necessary.
What You Will Learn
What You Will Receive
- In-Depth Clinical Experience: You’ll delve deeper into the world of echocardiography, refining your skills in a real-world clinical setting, with the support of our seasoned supervisors.
- Advanced Heartscope Certificate: Once you’ve successfully finished the course, you’ll be awarded an advanced certificate from Heartscope. This high-level certification can be used as a powerful credential when applying for jobs in different organisations.
- Continued Support: Even after the course, our team will be available to provide guidance and support as you embark on your echocardiography career. Our relationship with our students extends beyond the classroom.
- Industry Connections: With Heartscope’s reputation in the industry, our endorsement could open doors to potential job opportunities in various organisations.
Week 1 to Week 72
The part 3 curriculum spans a comprehensive 72-week program that focuses on a practical approach to learning echocardiography. To be eligible for enrolment, you must first be enrolled in an official cardiac sonography program at an Australian institution. Additionally, obtaining student ASAR registration is a requirement to participate in the course.
Throughout the course, the workload progressively increases, reflecting your growing skills and knowledge. Starting with a foundation of theoretical and practical learning, you will gradually transition into more complex procedures and responsibilities. Working at least 4-5 days per week, you will perform echocardiograms, stress echocardiograms, holters, ECGs, and stress ECGs under direct clinical supervision or mentorship.
As your experience and proficiency develop, the level of supervision gradually decreases. This allows you to become more independent, taking on greater responsibility for patient care and diagnostic assessments. By the end of the curriculum, you will have acquired the necessary skills and experience to work with minimal supervision, demonstrating competency in performing a wide range of echocardiographic procedures.
The combination of structured learning, hands-on practice, and reduced supervision throughout the curriculum ensures that you are thoroughly prepared for a successful career in the field of cardiac sonography.
Senior Cardiac Sonographer and Program Coordinator
Reena Kapadia is a seasoned professional in the field of cardiac sonography, boasting over 15 years of experience. Her expertise is not only limited to practice but also extends to teaching, having mentored students and physicians for the past 5 years. A testament to her effective teaching methods is the success of her students, the majority of whom have become accomplished cardiac sonographers themselves.
Reena’s academic background includes a Graduate Diploma in Medical Ultrasonography (Cardiac) from ASUM, which further solidifies her proficiency in the field. Her ability to manage and instruct over a dozen students and physicians at a time showcases her exceptional teaching skills. As a senior cardiac sonographer, she brings a wealth of practical knowledge and insights to the Intro to Echocardiography course, making her an invaluable asset to the program.
Note: During Part 3 of our program, the Industry Based Learning (IBL) phase, you’ll benefit from receiving a salary for your work. Additionally, you won’t be required to pay any fees for the IBL course. This allows you to gain practical experience and financial support without the burden of course expenses.
Have Any Questions?
We understand that choosing a training program is a significant decision and you might have some questions or need further clarification.
Feel free to get in touch with our team via email to discuss things further.
Register your Interest
To register your interest, please fill out the form with your basic information and details about the course you’re interested in. This helps us understand your needs and aspirations better, allowing us to provide you with the most relevant information.
Please also be aware that the completion of this program does not provide formal qualification of echo skills.
Note: We only have limited slots for our courses.